In Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Sun Metro is taking the necessary precautionary measures to ensure the safety of our passengers and employees alike. We are in constant communication with our City Leadership team along with national and local partners, to include transit associations, to stay informed of the latest Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates.
In light of current circumstances, please rest assured that we are looking out for your best interest making your health and safety our highest priority. As part of our focused efforts to maintain our services at the highest level we are taking the following steps:
Increasing Cleaning Services:
- Buses, Brio and LIFT
Our fleet undergoes a scheduled cleaning process nightly upon returning from service. This includes cleaning out debris, sweeping and moping of floors with disinfecting products, wiping down the operators area and washing the exterior. We will be increasing our cleaning efforts in the following weeks as follows:
- A detailed cleaning process will take place twice per month, sanitizing all areas of the fleet. This includes, but is not limited to the cleaning of internal sections such as ceilings, windows, grab rails and fare boxes.
- Additional cleaning crews will be cleaning buses in high-touch areas (stanchions, hand rails, seat rails and fare boxes) when they arrive at main terminal centers. Passengers will be asked to deboard the bus momentarily so cleaning crews can do their work.
- Additional cleaning of buses is planned at night for all the buses in the following weeks.
We are maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness at all of our facilities to ensure our passengers and employees are safe. Our facilities are cleaned daily with industrial disinfect solutions. This includes sections such as, high traffic surfaces, counters and door handles. We will be increasing our cleaning services in the following weeks as follows:
- Doubling cleaning efforts after service ends
Preventative Measures:In order to encourage social distancing we
implemented a few changes for the safety of our passengers and employees.
- All Sun Metro services have been free since Sunday, March 22, 2020, until further notice, with the implementation of the following guidelines.
- All passengers board and exit through the rear doors.
- Boarding exceptions are made for riders who have accessibility needs and require the use of the drop-down ramps located at the front doors.
- Upon boarding, all passengers are encouraged to leave two empty seats between themselves and others.
- Coach Operators are enforcing the ‘No Standing Loads’ rule to eliminate full busloads. In the case where we cannot accommodate every passenger with the two empty seat rule, we have buses on stand-by for transporting excess loads.
On, Wednesday, March 25, 2020, Sun Metro implemented the following service changes which will remain in effect until further notice:
- Fixed route service is operating on a Sunday schedule Monday through Saturday with the addition of the following:
- Routes 19, 43, 71, 73 are running on a Saturday schedule, Monday through Saturday.
- Brio service (Mesa, Dyer, Alameda) runs on a Saturday schedule, Monday through Saturday.
- Routes 3 and 42 have kept regular service hours, Monday through Friday only.
- Sunday service along with routes 83 and 84 remain unchanged.
- Fixed route service on Sundays now operate on a Sunday schedule with no additions.
- Streetcar service is suspended until further notice.
Passenger and Employee Safety:
We are continually monitoring, assessing and responding to the COVID-19 situation and distributing educational materials to our passengers and staff. As such, we have placed CDC approved posters at all our facilities that encourage passengers and employees to practice proper hygiene and avoid close contact with others. It is everyone’s responsibility to practice the following preventative measures:
- Stay home if you are feeling sick
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Cover your cough or sneeze into your elbow
Additional Service Options:
Sun Metro offers several additional services that are consistently available to you:
- Sun Metro App: Helps you plan your trip, see routes schedules and next departures
- Trip Planner: Helps you plan your trip from the comfort of your home before going to the bus stop
- QR Code Placards: Scan the QR Code found at all bus stops, to get bus time arrivals in real-time
- Customer Service Line: Open Mon – Fri: 6am – 8pm / Sat: 8am – 5pm / Sun: 8am – 3pm
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are you offering free rides?
For the safety of our passengers and transit operators, we are implementing free service during the COVID-19 pandemic to implement social distancing requirements.
Why are passengers asked to board in the back?
Boarding through the back will allow for a safe distance between the operator and the passengers.
How often do you clean your buses?
Buses are cleaned every night after they finish their route service. In addition, buses undergo a detailed cleaning once per month.
Where do I go to get the latest information about Sun Metro’s response to Covid-19?
You can get updates through several communication channels including the following:
- Sun Metro webpage
- Social Media sites (Facebook, Twitter)
- Flyers on buses
How should I enter the bus if I use a mobility device?
Passengers with mobility needs will be able to board through the front doors.
What is Sun Metro doing to keep passengers safe?
In the following weeks we will be increasing our cleaning services on our buses and at our transit centers.
What are you doing to protect your drivers?
We will be implementing free service so operators have a safe distance between themselves and the passengers.
Are you reducing service?
At this time we will be implementing the following schedule changes:
- All Sun Metro services will be free starting Sunday, March 22, 2020
- Beginning March 30, 2020 Sun Metro will operate on a Saturday schedule Monday through Saturday
- Routes 3 and 42 will continue to run on a Monday through Friday schedule.
- Sunday service will remain the same
- Beginning Sunday, March 22, 2020, the El Paso Streetcar will cease service until further notice