Bicycling and bus riding are two wonderful ways to get around town; and now you can combine them to improve your commute and extend your cycling range.
Why ride Sun Metro with a bike?
- It's easy! Most people can load or unload a bike in about 20 seconds.
- There is no extra charge to ride, so your bike rides free!
- All our fixed-route buses have bike racks.
- Each rack holds two bikes securely, and because of the unique design the bikes don't make contact with each other or the bus.
- Our bike racks are intended for single seat bicycles of standard size that conform to the bike rack specifications (extra-wide tires do not fit in our racks). The following are prohibited: motorcycles, mopeds, tricycles, motor-powered bicycles (including but not limited to gasoline-powered bicycles), and any other bicycle that exceeds the size restrictions stated above.
How to load/unload a bike
Passengers must be able to load and unload their bikes without assistance from the bus driver.
Pull the handle of the bike rack up to release and lower the rack.
Lift your bike onto the rack's rear-most wheel slot, if available. Be sure to set the tires into the wheel slots as indicated.
Pull the spring-loaded support arm out and raise it up and over the front tire to secure your bike to the rack. Make sure the support arm is resting on the tire and not the frame or fender of the bike.
Before you reach your destination, be sure to inform the driver that you will be unloading your bike. To unload, raise the support arm off your tire and out of your way. For your safety, be sure to unload your bike from the curb or directly in front of the bus and away from traffic.
Here's a fun video showing how it's done: