You may be eligible for the LIFT if you have:
- A disability which prevents you from independently getting to/from a bus stop or transfer points. This includes if you are unable to navigate through Sun Metro’s Fixed-Route system without the assistance of another person.
- A disability which prevents you from independently boarding, riding and exiting a Sun Metro fixed-route bus. Individuals who live outside El Paso city limits can still apply and utilize the service when traveling within the city limits.
- Individuals are also eligible when travel on an otherwise accessible route is prevented due to the inability to deploy the lift or ramp at an inaccessible bus stop.
Note: You may also be eligible to use our LIFT service with certain conditions. For example, you may able to use accessible fixed-route buses during most of the year, but you may require paratransit service on a route that is not fully accessible (e.g. construction projects) or during extreme weather conditions.
You may qualify for temporary eligibility when you have a short-term illness or injury that prevents you from using a regular Sun Metro fixed-route bus for a limited time, usually from 1 to 12 months. If you have temporary eligibility, your eligibility letter will include the date your Sun Metro LIFT eligibility expires. You will need to reapply if you still need the service after that date. To obtain a copy of your eligibility letter please call 915.212.3004.
If you have a permanent disability and you are found to be eligible to use the LIFT, you will only have to go through the eligibility application process once. After that, every three (3) years we will send you a letter confirming that you are still living at your existing address and that you are continuing to use our service.
When visiting other cities: If you are traveling outside El Paso (your certification district) to anywhere in the United States, call the transit district in the area you are visiting to make your appointments on their paratransit services. You may be required to show your ADA card or eligibility letter at the time of the ride. To obtain a copy of your eligibility letter please call 915.212.3004.
When visiting El Paso: Visitors to El Paso will be presumed eligible for up to 21 days of service within a 365-day period and may be required to present ADA eligibility.To receive services beyond 21 days, the Sun Metro LIFT application will need to be completed and approved. Frequent visitors are advised to apply for eligibility within the El Paso area.
Establishing LIFT eligibility
To establish eligibility two forms must be completed and mailed to the LIFT. The necessary forms to apply are included in the file below. To obtain help filling out the LIFT application, including the doctor’s portion, please contact one of the following agencies:
If you are a member of any of the following agencies, they are also certified to assist you with the application, please contact them directly:
1155 Westmoreland set 135
5001 n. Piedras
El Parque Day Care
6501 Boeing dr.
5310 El Paso DR.
920 Chelsea st.
Contact your assigned social worker
1817 e. Yandell dr.
Mail the LIFT forms to the following address:
- Sun Metro LIFT
- 5081 Fred Wilson
El Paso, TX 79906
Each application will receive a prompt review. Eligible applicants can get a numbered picture identification card free of charge at any one of the locations in the green box at the top right of this page.
What if I do not qualify for the LIFT?
The following appeal process applies to eligibility denials as well as proposed suspension of service.
Eligibility is based on each person’s abilities, not on a specific diagnosis or medical condition. If you are declared ineligible or you are faced with a proposed suspension of service, you have the right to appeal the decision. Instructions for filing an appeal will be included in your notification letter. You also will receive information about our travel training program for the fixed-route service. Applicants who refuse to provide information about their ability to travel or are unwilling to participate in an in-person interview may be denied. You have 65 days from the decision date of your letter to give SunMetro LIFT a notice of appeal.
First-Step Appeal Process: The first request for Sun Metro to consider its rejection of an application to participate in the LIFT program is after the initial application for eligibility has been denied or there’s a proposed suspension of service. This appeal is made to a five-member panel composed of Sun Metro staff and LIFT passengers not associated with the original eligibility decision.
Second-Step Appeal Process: The final request for Sun Metro to reconsider its rejection of an eligibility application is after the first-step panel has sustained the decision not to certify an applicant. This appeal is made to a three-member review panel within 15 days of a decision rendered by the first-step panel. The second-step panel shall be composed of a member of the Citizens Advisory Committee, a Sun Metro director/manager and the chairperson or designee of the El Paso’s Accessibility Advisory Committee. This panel makes the final decision.
- The members selected to hear each of the appeals will not have taken part in the original eligibility certification.
- Applicants will be notified of appeal decisions in writing, or in accessible format if requested, and the notification will state the reason(s) for the decision if eligibility is denied.
- Applicants have the right to be heard in person and to present additional information and arguments regarding their disability and ability to use the fixed-route service.
- During the time it takes to appeal, applicants may use the Sun Metro LIFT until the appeal is reviewed and a decision is made. A date and time for you to meet with either appeal committee will be arranged and you may have someone accompany you.
If you have further questions regarding our services or eligibility process, please contact us at:
- Sun Metro LIFT
- 5081 Fred Wilson
El Paso, TX 79906
OR via telephone at:
Complete information regarding the fixed-routes can be obtained by calling the Sun Metro information line at 915.212.3333. See our fares page for more information on fixed-route senior/disability fares.
Where to Get Your Sun Metro ID
Once your application has been approved, come to any one of our ticket offices to get your free Sun Metro ID.